Google Analytics Tracking

Family Child Care

Tel: (320) 634-7755
Fax: (320) 634-0164
Email: Human Services
211 East Minnesota Avenue, Suite 200, Glenwood, MN 56334
Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Becoming a Provider

You've decided to open a child care business in your home, so what do you do next? In Pope County, the next step is to get licensed. In order to become licensed, you must do the following:

  1. Contact Pope County's child care licensing department:
    • In Minnesota, you are licensed by the state through the county office. First, you must either call 320-634-7755 or send an email to to discuss the licensing process. Please include your complete mailing address and phone number. A packet of information about starting child care will then be e-mailed or mailed to you.

  2. Read the Child Care Licensing Rule (, 245A, and 245C: This document contains the rules and regulations you must follow in order to receive and maintain a child care license. The rule will outline Physical Environment, such as fire exits in your home, stairways, outlet covers, etc.; Sanitation and Health, such as reporting illness, transporting children, household pets, etc.; Caregiver Qualifications, such as training requirements, age requirements, etc.; and much more.

  3. Make changes to meet requirements set forth by the Child Care Rule: In some instances, you will need to make some adjustments to your home, but for the most part, you will only need to check and update safety measures and purchase equipment. You may need to, if you haven't already;
    • Put smoke detectors on all levels of your home
    • Have a fire extinguisher in cooking areas
    • Unload and store firearms and ammunition in a separately locked, inaccessible area
    • Keep knives and sharp objects as well as poisons and medications in inaccessible areas
    • Have a first aid kit, among other things
    • You will also need to provide appropriate equipment for children in your care, such as toys, places to nap, outdoor equipment, etc. Toys and equipment may be new, used, commercial, or homemade as long as they are appropriate for the ages of the children and activities for which they will be used. Equipment must also be safe, in good repair, and lead-free.
    • If your home uses well water you will need to complete a well water test kit. These are available by contacting Sarah Boll, Licensor, at 320-634-7781.

  4. Complete and return Background Consent Forms: The Human Services Licensing Act requires that licensing agencies conduct a background study (investigation) on the applicant and on all members of the applicant's household who are 13 years of age and older and others who might have unsupervised access to child care children. There is a fee of $15 (each) payable to Pope County Human Services for this process. Enclose the payment, complete the forms, and return them promptly as the process can be time-consuming. Follow the link for a list of disqualifying crimes (

  5. Complete a course in child-related first aid / CPR:
    • Providers are required to complete 6 - 9 hours of child-related First Aid and CPR provided by an individual approved to provide CPR and First Aid instruction. Online CPR and First Aid are not allowed. The training must be completed prior to becoming licensed. CPR and First Aid training must be repeated every 2 years.

  6. Complete pre-service training: Providers must complete the following courses prior to licensure;
    • SUID (Sudden Unexpected Infant Death) ( training before providing care for infants. Training must be repeated annually
    • Abusive Head Trauma (AHT) ( training before providing care for children under school age. Training must be repeated annually
    • Children and Restraint Systems (C.A.R.S.) contact Bryan Klassen at 634-7806 training for providers transporting children under the age of nine. Training must be repeated every five years
    • Four hours of Child Growth and Development and Behavior Guidance training (
    • Six hours of Supervising for Safety training (
    • Helpers and back-up providers are also required to have some training. They are required to receive SUID and AHT if caring for children under school age. They are required to complete C.A.R.S training if they will be transporting children. If caring for children on a regular basis, additional training is required.

  7. Complete a well water test if utilizing well water. If you do not have an approved municipal (city) water system, your well water will need to be tested for Total Coliforms and Nitrate Nitrogen. Pope County has water test kits available. To obtain a test kit contact Sarah Boll, licensor at 320-634-7781 or

  8. Have a physical exam:
    • An adult caregiver shall be physically able to care for children.
    • The applicant shall supply documentation to the agency with the license application that the applicant has had a physical examination from a licensed physician within 12 months prior to initial licensure and is physically able to care for children.
    • The applicant shall supply documentation to the agency with the license application that all adult caregivers who are assisting with care on a regular basis (more than 30 days) have had a physical examination from a licensed physician within 12 months prior to employment.

  9. Maintain pets: All household pets housed within the residence shall be maintained (with current Rabies vaccinations) in good health and limited to;
    • Birds, if the birds are clear of chlamydia psittaci
    • Cats
    • Dogs
    • Fish
    • Gerbils
    • Guinea pigs
    • Hamsters
    • Mice
    • Rabbits
    • Rats

  10. Fire Marshal Code Inspection
    • A Fire Marshal will need to inspect your home prior to becoming licensed. Please note that there is a $50 fee for this inspection. You will need to submit a $50 money order to Pope County Human Services and we will submit your Fire Marshal Inspection request.

  11. Call to request a licensing home visit: Once you have received notification that your background studies have been completed, and you have had the Fire Marshal inspection (if applicable), you must call the licensor to schedule a home visit. There is a fee of $50 payable to Pope County Human Services for a one year license. The fee must be received at the Human Services office before your license will be submitted. The licensor will inspect your house, review your application for licensing, and discuss any relevant issues or concerns.

  12. License Posting: Upon successful completion of the requirements, you will be licensed to do child care! You can expect to receive your license from the Department of Human Services (DHS) in approximately 2 to 4 weeks. Be sure to post your license in a prominent area in your house.
Human Services Director
Nicole Names

Social Services Supervisor
Phyllis Reller

Child Support & Financial Assistance Supervisor
Paula Hoverud
(320) 634-7700 - Pope County Courthouse - 130 E. Minnesota Avenue - Glenwood, MN 56334
Bottom Info Get Adobe Reader to view PDF files |  Disclaimer |  Contact Us |  FAQ |  Intranet
© 2013 - 2018 Pope County, Minnesota