Monday - Friday
7:00AM - 3:30PM
Highway / Engineering
Services and Responsibilities
The Highway Department is responsible for maintenance & construction on all county streets & highways.
The Department currently has 18 employees responsible for 370 miles of roadways and 64 bridges.
Some specific duties within the Department include the following:
- Planning, designing, constructing and inspecting all road and bridge projects.
- Preparation of a 5-year plan outlining proposed road and bridge projects.
- Acquisition of necessary easements and Right of Way.
- Administration of construction contracts and maintenance projects.
- Annual safety Inspections of all bridges including township & city bridge.
- Providing County road maintenance, including ice and snow removal, on 240 miles of bituminous roads and 130 miles of gravel roads.
- Mowing and maintenance of county road ditches.
- Repairing and maintaining County vehicles and related equipment.
- Develop and maintain a bike/walking trail system for Pope County.